Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's Tuesday!

Okay today is preserving Tuesday! I was trying to think of a whitty tip to give you. Somehow I don't feel to whitty today. However, it has been a beautiful day today! I got up at 6:30, strapped my tennis shoes on and went out and set sprinklers in the yard. Pulled some weeds. Played with my kittens, Cruiser and Whiner (guess how he got that name). Checked my garden, and found ripe cherry tomatoes! I can't wait until a few more come on. Here is my tip for the day! Do you have a dehydrator? I love mine. Actually after putting it away for a year or two, I got it back out and have been dehydrating like crazy. If you still have rubarb, dehydrate some. This winter you can make a delicious cake. I will give you the recipe at the end. Also, the cherry tomatoes, cut them in half and dehydrate. Keep in a quart jar in the cupboard to add to stews and soups. When you dehydrate the tomatoes, do a couple of trays of celery! That's right, celery! Keep them in a jar and use them in stews and soups or whatever you need celery for. They re-hydrate in 10-15 minutes. I keep them around for when I run out of fresh celery. And if you do the tomatoes and celery together, your house smells incredible.



If you are interested in getting a dehydrator, be sure and buy the Nesco/American Harvester Snackmaster. It is cheap ($59) and you can get extra trays and jerky and fruit leather trays for them! I have gotten them at Bed, Bath and Beyond and also Basic Living in Rexburg, and the Preparedness Store in IF. So check around.



One more tip, when you dry stuff and put it in a quart jar, leave it open for a day or two to make sure there is no residual moisture, then put an 02 pac in the jar and close. The O2 pac will pretty much seal the jar and help keep your stuff fresh longer!



Rubarb Cake


Cream:

1 1/2 C brown sugar

1/2 C shortening

2 eggs

Add:

1 tsp vanilla

1 C buttermilk

Sitr in:

1 tsp soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 C flour

1 1/2 C diced rhubarb

Put in 9 X 13 pan.

Topping:

1/2 C brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 C nuts

Sprinkle over top. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve warm with whipped cream.

Have a delicious day!

Chris

No comments: