Tuesday, July 26, 2011

New Tricks or Old Dogs?

Okay, so I have knitted since I was 10 years old.  I had a primary teacher who taught me and since no one else in my family knitted, it stuck for me.  Over the years I have been on again, off again when it came to knitting.  But I did know I liked it better than crochet.  I actually found it quite relaxing.  When I was pregnant with my first baby, stuck at home and bored out of my mind, I sharpened a pencil for a double pointed needle, pulled out the only pair of knitting needles I owned and a ball of yarn and knitted a baby sweater from the newest Family Circle magazine.  I was hooked!  Over the years I have knitted dozens of sweaters, tons of hats and scarfs, and even mittens.  I can do fisherman knits, baby knits, all kinds of knits.

But the one thing I never tried, was double-pointed needles to knit socks.  The thought of trying to manage 4 or 5 needles at the same time, especially when they had points on either end, seemed daunting!  A couple of years ago I went and bought  double pointed needles and they have sat in my needle basket.

Then a few days ago I found this book at JoAnns and it made sock knitting seem fairly simple.  So I bought the book, bought a ball of yarn and headed home.  I had to dig, but I finally found my needles.  This was last Thursday.  That night, I sat down with all my equipment.  I cast on, knitted, pulled it out and tried again for about an hour.  Then it took off!  That first night I knitted the top half of the sock!  And it looked pretty good!  I was pumped!  In between all my honey dos, chores and life, I worked on it over the next few days and by Saturday night I had a sock done!  I was siked!  So yesterday, I knitted for about 2 hours and have most of a sock done!  And here they are!

In about a half hour sock #2 will be done!  And what is so cool is that they match!  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  I honestly don't remember why I didn't try this before, but watch out, now I am a sock making machine!  Makes me think I can try anything!

Chris

No comments: