Monday, October 8, 2007

Snow!!!!!?!?!?!?

So I don't know if you heard, but it snowed in Southeastern Idaho on Saturday! Now it may have been 90 degrees everywhere else, and we may have only gotten our first frost about a week ago, and the trees may have still had all their leaves, but heh, this is Idaho, right?


When it started, I didn't think too much of it. Then we had about 3 inches and the branches were starting to sag. My apple trees still have apples on them too, so I began to worry that we might have some branches break.





So out we went to knock off the branches! And suddenly, it really began to snow! Great big, wet flakes!






Then we started to hear trees popping all around us, like gun shots! Branches were falling every few seconds! We watched the trees across the dry bed continually loose branches, minute after minute!


















When the storm was over, the ground was completely littered with branches! The picture below shows this, the yellow under the trees is the branches that broke off! There wasn't a house in Rigby that didn't loose some branches, and even in Rexburg and Idaho Falls, on either side of us! When it was all done, Rigby had the record snowfall of 6 inches!
















Conference!
On a lighter note, the General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) was held this weekend. It is held in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, but broadcasted around the world. There are 4 sessions, 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. It is a wonderful chance for us to receive counsel and learn gospel principles from the leaders of our church! We get a chance to be spiritually fed and uplifted!




This time, there were some changes in the leadership. President James E Faust, who was the 2nd counselor in the First Presidency, passed away in August.



James E. Faust



Saturday morning, President Gordon B. Hinckley called and we sustained, Elder Henry B. Eyring to be the new first counselor.



Henry B. Eyring



This in turn left a vacancy in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, which was fille by Quentin L. Cook.




Quentin L. Cook



When I was little, I always thought these leaders looked so old! All of a sudden, they are starting to look younger and younger! It couldn't be that I am getting old!

When President Eyring spoke on Sunday, he talked about being thankful for blessings and trials and even the simple things like the beautiful flowers growing outside your windows. So here it goes for me -

I am thankful that I live in a country where I can choose how I worship my Heavenly Father and that I can even talk about it! I am thankful for the family unit, mine in particular! I am thankful that I have the means to make a written and pictoral history of my family, to hand down through the generations! And I thankful that I can share my thoughts with you on this blog!

So I would like to encourage you to go and find something that you are thankful for today! Embrace the ordinary and love the simple!


Chris









1 comment:

Aimeslee Winans said...

Wow, Chris, I love how you shared all that you are grateful for. Hope you are not too stressed right now, LOL. 6 more days, ugh! I have 10 more returns and they are all the hardest ones. I'm grateful the old Type A genes can still kick it. I knew it had snowed - I read another Idahoan's blog, Sherelle's. It snowed in the middle of her family's potato harvesting! :-0